Tips For Extending The Life Of Your Car
For the very best selection of new and used cars in Joliet, you need to come to Hawk Volkswagen, located at 2861 W. Jefferson Street in Joliet and open Monday – Saturday, for your convenience. We are the #1 volume Volkswagen dealer in Illinois based on 2018 retail sales!
Buying a car represents a considerable investment, and we want you to get the maximum return for your money. So, from your friends at Hawk Volkswagen, here are five tips that will help extend the life of your car.
- Follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule – Your car’s engine is designed to last, but it needs regular service to meet its potential. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for oil and filter changes, as well as power steering, brakes, and transmission fluid changes. And have the engine inspected by a professional mechanic once a year.
- Get minor repairs fixed – Left uncorrected, minor problems can quickly escalate into major ones with huge repair bills. Do your engine and your budget a favor, and get minor problems fixed as soon as they develop.
- Keep the engine clean – Dirt and grime can cause your engine to run hot, producing extra wear that can reduce the engine’s life span. Also, a dirty engine makes it difficult to find problems such as fluid leaks. All things considered, it’s a good idea to have your engine professionally steam-cleaned once a year.
- Maintain a 50/50 mix in the radiator – Use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze to keep your engine running its best. Your car needs a mix for best results and long-term performance. And don’t forget to have the system flushed every 60,000 miles to keep the cooling system operating properly.
- Warm up the engine in cold weather – We have plenty of cold in the Chicagoland area, and that cold weather is hard on your car’s engine. Your battery carries a lower charge in winter, and the engine is harder to start. Cold weather also causes the engine oil to become thick and sluggish, making it more difficult for engine components to perform. When the cold weather hits, let your engine warm up for 30-60 seconds, and then drive at a gentle pace until the temperature gauge moves out of the “cold” range.
We hope these tips help, and we hope when you’re shopping for new or used cars in Joliet, you’ll come see us at Hawk Volkswagen.